Located to the west of Boston, Wayland was originally settled as part of the Sudbury Plantation in 1673. Although incorporated during the year 1780 it was not founded as a town until 1835.
The town was named after a woman by the name of Francis Wayland who started the first free public library in Massachusetts in the year 1848, and was also a preacher and president of Brown University.
The town attractions include the Ground Herd House as well as the Depot which is a small shop in an old train station. Wayland also includes one of the best school systems in the state of Massachusetts.